Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Dedication to Mark Steinberg


A couple of years ago, a guy named Mark Steinberg came to Mysore on a short visit and happened to attend one of my cooking classes.
Mark Steinberg in his NY apartment kitchen

As usual, after the class, I tell the people who attended, that it would make me very happy if they shared their experiences with me after they tried out my recipes at home.  Some assure me they would and they do!  Mark Steinberg too did that.  He not only wrote back to me saying he tried out my recipes and that the food had turned out real good, but also sent me pictures of the food he had cooked and his guests raising a toast to me!
Mark's friend Chris (extreme right) with his guests Henk (center) and Carolein from Holland

Mark's string quartet colleagues enjoying his Indian cooking!

I loved his enthusiasm and sent to him a few more recipes.  I received more pictures and sent him more recipes and received more pictures...

Here's a picture of the dishes he cooked on 5th Jan 2010, all arranged in a thali!
As you can see, there is Lemon Rice, Chana Masala, Daal, Baingan Bharta, Bhindi Masala, Aloo Gobi, Pachadi and Chapati! Phew! And it all looks simply awesome!  I bet it tasted divine!

And guess what he served his guests for dessert... Kheer!
What better returns would a teacher expect from his/her student!  Mark has tried many more of my recipes and most diligently sent me pictures with encouraging feedback.  He motivated me to go on teaching...

Sometime back I asked Mark if he would do me a favour and make Buck Wheat Dosas and let me know how they turned out.  I make and teach Ragi Dosas and always had a feeling that Buck Wheat Dosas may turn out just the same as Ragi.  Now Mark lives in New York and this time of the year is brrrrrrrr..... freezing! But he made them Buck Wheat Dosas and sent me his notes too, with 17 pictures of the entire process and he had never ever made any kind of dosas before!  And yes, he made the potato palya (stuffing) and the peanut chutney too! and additionally made Baingan Delight! How delightful can this be!!!

I would like to dedicate this blog to my very dear dear friend Mark Steinberg, who has made me very proud and has provided super encouragement to me, to go on with teaching cooking.  Thank you Mark!  And much love to you!

Watch out for my next post.  I will give out recipes for Ragi (or Buck Wheat) Dosa, courtesy Mark Steinberg!

Wishing all readers Merry Christmas and a Very Very Peaceful New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment